Today is Sunday, which means tomorrow is Monday. Does this news make you depressed or a smidge excited? I feel fortunate to love my job selling online marketing. Chances are you think I’m crazy or naïve or very lucky for saying so. But before I explain, let me tell you all the things I hate about my job:
- I hate when clients cancel our services when we’re providing tremendous value.
- I hate when we first get a new client and they don’t yet feel value.
- I hate the red eye flight back from LA.
- I hate the fact I don’t own any equity.
- I hate traffic between appointments.
- I hate when competitors beat me to a client.
- I have new hires that think they’re entitled to leadership.
- I hate how clunky our CRM software is.
- I hate when prospects don’t decide one way or the other.
- I hate when gatekeepers feel they rule the universe.
That’s just 10. I could write a list a mile long about all the little things I don’t enjoy. Instead I choose to love it. How is that possible….?! I learned one definition of love when I going through a seminar with Landmark that I still remember: Truly loving someone or something is choosing to accept it for everything it is, and everything it isn’t.
So instead of dwelling on things I can’t change, I’ve chosen to accept my career and embrace it for all that it is. Let’s quit chasing a pipe dream of not having problems or telling ourselves that maybe if we just did our own thing or we were passionate about our work – all our stress would disappear. Go kick ass at something for a year or get to the top before you decide it’s not your thing. Better yet – pretend you love your job for just a week and see what happens. Tomorrow is Monday.
Thoughts? Have you found a job you love? Or found out how to love a job? Feel free to comment, disagree, ask questions, or get your #hashtag on. And tune in next week when I discuss lessons from my MBA.